We were all back at school in the evening for a pot-luck supper and a chance to meet other parents and tour classrooms etc. I have to admit to feeling quite overwhelmed with homesickness during the eating/socializing part of the event. It doesn't hit me that often, really, but more when I'm in friendly but still unfamiliar crowds than when I'm alone.

By the way, on the route to school we pass this sign. In case the words aren't clear it says that New York State has 2,110 structurally deficient bridges. This is not reassuring information, especially because just as you pass the sign you realise you have become inextricably committed to driving through a spaghetti junction of over-under freeway bridges. Someone's making a political point, I'm sure, but I kind of wish they wouldn't.
Fear not! 'New York State is home to more than 17,000 highway bridges..."structurally deficient" does not imply that it is unsafe'
ReplyDeleteOh well, that's ok then...
ReplyDeleteI can see the New York DOT's commissioner now, eyes as spirals of colour singing "Trussssst in meeee..." :-)
ReplyDelete