Last Friday, ahead of our trip to New York, I found myself at the Middle school serving salad. It's an annual event - free salad for kids and staff, all ingredients grown in the school's own organic garden.
The Man was skeptical when I told him what I was going to be up to, supposing that I'd be standing around with nothing to do for two hours - after all, how many kids will voluntarily eat salad? Well, apparently, lots of them (including one of my own!). Maybe they genuinely love lettuce, carrots and radishes. Or maybe they were lured by the fact that it was free ('cause everyone likes free stuff). Whatever the reason, the team of volunteers had to rip up a mountain of lettuces and chop a sackload of tomatoes to satisfy demand. So that was very satisfying.
As a thank you, the teacher who runs the garden presented us all with bags of lettuce, beans and radishes, and fresh flowers - which we're still enjoying a week later.
No comments:
Post a Comment