Friday, August 12, 2011

Out for a snog

S.N.O.G. - stands for Social Networking Off the Grid.  A couple of friends of mine are hoping to get a casual social group going which will meet monthly at bars here and there.

A few of us made it tonight to Wolff's Biergarten in Albany.  The last time I was there was for the USA-England match during the World Cup, when I came away partially deaf.  It wasn't quite that loud tonight, but not far off.  And there's nothing more relaxing, is there, than a night out shouting small talk? 

After an hour and a half trying to chat - at full volume - with the woman sitting across the table from me, only to have her keep turning to her neighbour to ask "What did she say?", I decided to call it a night.  So did the others.  They walked me to my car, and conversing in quietness was delightful.  But that's when I realised that it wasn't just the loud music that had been the problem during the earlier conversation.  The woman I'd been shouting to still couldn't understand me - on account of my funny British accent.

No comments:

Post a Comment