Although the children were perfectly happy to spend another day knocking about their Grandparents' house, the Man and I felt the urge to get out, so off we went.
London is amazing, isn't it - so much to see around every corner. We walked up and down along the South Bank for a bit, admiring the views. Then we took a tour of Shakespeare's Globe Theatre, where there was a rehearsal going on for a new play called The God of Soho, which is "bursting with dirty language and filthy content." Mm. The theatre building itself is a wonder - all hail to Sam Wannamaker who had the vision to recreate it.
We walked another stretch besides the Thames, popped into Southwark Cathedal and the Tate, stopped in for some noodles at Wagamama at the South Bank, then crossed the river and took a stroll around some other rather well-known buildings, in Westminster.
I love visiting London. I lived in central London for a while, twenty-odd years ago, in a tiny rented room which actually was a closet (seriously, it was). The whole city was much dirtier then (too much traffic), and shabbier all round. Fascinating still, of course - I used to walk for miles and miles just for the sake of it - but since the introduction of congestion charges and with some interesting building and sensitive remodelling going on it's a more pleasant place to be now - in the tourist areas at any rate.

Yes,some of London is really wonderful(and some parts are really horrible) I remember the view from the tram when going over Vauxhall Bridge on a sunny spring morning in the fifties , being really breathtaking if you looked east and how I enjoyed St James park
ReplyDeleteIt is such a good city for wandering. I used to live in Uxbridge and would get the tube into a random tube station and have a really good explore.
ReplyDelete(also, Wagamama noodles..mmmmmm)