Thursday, November 19, 2009

Egged on

The Man came home from the supermarket the other day with some Sandwich Pockets - wholegrain pita bread pockets, pre-opened for ease of filling.

Well, I don't know about needing my pita bread pre-cut, but it seemed to be made with healthy ingredients at least. The Man and I were both struck, however, by one of the serving suggestions on the back of the packet: 'Fill with scrambled egg for your ride to work'. A scrambled egg sandwich? That's just not right! And the thought of trying to eat one while driving to work...

Any ideas for other food-on-the-go no-nos?

6 comments:

  1. I have to give some support to the scrambled egg sandwich.

    Granted, in sandwich form the scrambled eggs need to be adjusted. I am not sure if you fall into the small-curd or large-curd camp when it comes to scrambled eggs.

    Certainly small-curd is out of the question for a sandwich.

    Generally though the eggs in these sandwiches are less scrambled, and more of a flat, free-form omelet.

    My father ate them with mayonnaise as a child, and switched to ketchup as an adult.

    You should give them a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I once ate a yogurt on the tube. Every spoonful splodged on my clothes, but I continued regardless, maintaining my stiff upper lip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For the benefit of US readers, tube=subway. I'm sure you wore your yogurt with style, Livid. All good practice for parenthood, too.

    DB, I fall into the small curd camp, which maybe explains my puzzlement. My arteries are clogging at the thought of scrambled egg plus mayonnaise ('More egg with your egg, sir?'), though now that you mention it, I think people eat boiled egg mashed with mayo in sandwiches at home, so maybe that's not so strange.

    Have you ever had a Marmite sandwich, and if so what's your verdict?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've tried drinking water from an open plastic cup during running races (i.e. without actually stopping) - I've yet to master this! Do try it some time ...

    The Italians make very nice pannini containing frittata (kind of omelette).

    Marmite sandwiches, in my view, are on a par with jam sandwiches - good only for playgroup parties and the truly desperate!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...and pregnant. I craved Marmite (and Cornish Wafers) all through my pregnancy with the Boy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Potato hoops are not messy and quite tasty!

    ReplyDelete