Friday, March 28, 2008

Winter blues

Woke up this morning, found my yard was all covered in snow...

Again. Oh, this endless winter.

Though actually it was quite satisfying to be able to share a good snowstorm with my parents on the last full day of their visit, in a "Didn't I tell you it snowed a lot here?" kind of way. We had 3 or 4 inches all told.

The school bus got through, no problem, but only the Boy got on it because the Girl had been sick yet again. I've decided it's fish sticks that are doing it - they frequently seem to feature in the night-before dinner. The Girl slept it off and was perfectly ok again by mid-morning.

So once the snow eased up we went skating. Dad hadn't skated for twenty years but managed really well. The Girl showed off some of the skills she has picked up in classes which was good to see. Mum decided not to risk breaking a limb just before a long trans-Atlantic flight and watched from the rinkside.

We dropped in at the library on the way home and the Girl stocked up on books and cds, so that was her sorted for the rest of the day. Then we all stayed in and kept warm. Dad read, Mum sewed and I started assembling a quilt-top - a quietly happy afternoon. Winter has its compensations, after all.

2 comments:

  1. Your blog-visitors have been very quiet recently, so I thought I'd better post something - anything - before I too go off the radar for a week up-north (where they don't have PCs).

    After reading about your university rowing exploits yesterday, I thought it could start off a new thread (if there were anyone around): 'Things you did as a student that your friends in later life would never believe'. Mine is busking (in Newcastle city centre). People always seem amazed by this: I'm never sure whether because they think I'm too unmusical, too 'unhippy', too shy and retiring, too rich ... but there you go.

    Hope the grandparents have a good flight back and that the Girl gets over her latest sickness (check the sell-by-date on those fish sticks - and the school timetable!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anyone willing to take up April Fool's challenge? AF, I'd love to know what form of busking you practised - please not the penny whistle...

    Have a good trip North.

    ReplyDelete