Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Tug of love

My parents and I headed up to Saratoga Springs today, where there are still large areas of unmelted snow (all gone from round us now).

We had coffee in the excellent Uncommon Grounds cafe on the Broadway, and later returned there for lunch. Dad explored by himself while Mum and I took in shops selling crafts, wool, clothes, toys, fabric, fancy paper and beads. 'Girly shopping', if I'm honest, and very enjoyable.

This evening the Boy made me read his favourite library book, Scuffy the Tugboat, for the millionth time. It was written in the Forties and tells the tale of a toy boat with big sailing ambitions who, after a lengthy and exciting river trip, ultimately decides he's better off in a bathtub. I'm trying not to ponder too much on how the Boy might be relating this story to his own life.

So, should we spread our wings, see the world? Or is home best after all? Discuss.

4 comments:

  1. If you get the chance you should definately see the world - no doubt - it is amazing.

    Also, you probably need to have sailed up the river to really appreciate the bathtub!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely put! I think you have it about right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wise words Ninja. I have to say, the bath tub is pretty dull at the moment, and a few trips down the rapids wouldn't go amiss. Not sure our forthcoming trip to Hoseasons in Dorset will fit the bill, but they have a wave machine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My family once took a Hoseasons boating holiday. A river trip and a half, that was. One of my brothers accidentally dropped me into the Thames. I'd have been about six, I suppose but I remember it as if it were yesterday. I wasn't worried about drowning (I should have been) but that sharks and octopuses were going to get me. There really is something to be said for bathtubs sometimes.

    ReplyDelete