Friday, January 4, 2008

Bowling along

As I'm sure I've mentioned before, winters here in the northeastern States are long and hard. In recognition of this fact, the kids' school has created the tradition of 'winter Fridays'. For the next six Friday afternoons schoolwork will be put aside in favour of a choice of more exciting activities. Skiing and snowboarding are on offer, but our Girl and Boy have opted for ice-skating alternating with ten pin bowling. I tell you, every kid should go to this school!

Today it was bowling. I was one of the parent drivers so I got to witness the merriment. The Boy was on top form. Notwithstanding the fact that he could barely lift the lightest bowling ball (which weighed almost as much as him) he threw himself into the game with gusto. Almost literally threw himself, a couple of times. He took great theatrical run-ups, and was as enthusiastic at making 'gutter-balls' as he was when he actually hit any pins. He was a joy to watch. Or 'an embarassment', if you happened to be his sister.

In the car going back to school one of my passengers, a boy of about nine, was asking me if I found it hard to remember to drive on the right. I related the story of my little freeway adventure, adding 'But it's one of those things you only do once and never again.'

'Yes,' he said, nodding sagely, 'Like sticking your tongue to a really cold post.'

Indeed.

3 comments:

  1. I've decided my children watch a little too much American television. One of them has been very poorly this week: 'I feel terrible' she said 'even my butt hurts'. She's not even five yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry she's been ill and hope she's much better now, especially her butt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. and then u took us awaaaay!

    ReplyDelete