Sunday, January 27, 2008

Bard behaviour

I promised to write about last Thursday's all-school Shakespeare Night. What an amazing feat it was. An actor came to the school for nine days and in that time coached all the classes, from the big 8th graders down to the tiny pre-schoolers, so that EVERY child could take part in the show.

The different acts have been neatly summarised in the Exile's blog, so I'll refer you there for the programme. It was by no means the slickest school production I've seen, but given the timeframe and the range of ages and abilities involved it was a real tour de force, and a very joyful occasion.

As to my kids' role in proceedings: the Boy joined in with gusto, and though he fluffed his only line he exuded a certain stage presence (well, I thought so) sporting a paper necktie held on with string and his trousers rolled above his knees - a costume of his own devising. The Girl has no board-treading ambitions. She 'volunteered' (ie insisted) on working backstage. But she looked lovely in stage-hand black and waved a decapitated head on a stick very proficiently.


Today we made a foray into Washington Park in downtown Albany. We found some good play equipment there. The children were joined on a roundabout by a group of local kids and went whirling round at alarming speed, whooping with delight and shouting 'I'm not dizzy yet!' It was a different story when they finally got off to head for the swings - for some reason the park wouldn't stop spinning.

No comments:

Post a Comment