Earlier this year I was invited to join the national steering committee of Fair Trade Towns USA. This feels like something of an honour, especially considering that my town is still not an officially designated Fair Trade Town. However our campaign is active, and I think we can be proud of some of our events.
So far my duties for FTT USA have not been onerous at all - I've participated in some phone calls. I daresay more will be asked of me as time goes on.
I took part in a conference call today. If that sounds remotely grand, picture me hunched over my phone in a cinder-block side-room at the ice-rink (the Girl was there for a lesson), one finger jammed in my ear to eliminate the sounds of the country music station being piped through the arena. Not so grand, huh. Other participants were dialling in from as widespread locations as Boston, Milwaukee, Philadelphia, Oakland CA etc...so that bit was quite exciting.
As was the news that an idea our local campaign came up with - for sending in "bananagrams" to supermarkets to request that they stock Fair Trade bananas - will be going national during Fair Trade Month in October. I'm rather chuffed about that!
No comments:
Post a Comment