For once there's an actual news story on the front cover (that awful fire at Chilford Hall), plus a tribute in verse. Highlights from the rest of the paper:
- a letter from someone who chaired the Linton Silver Jubilee celebrations in 1977, which apparently included "a daredevil stunt by the local garage owners who bravely jumped over the river Granta in a car." Way to go - health-and-safety be damned!
- a report on the new kitchen arrangements at the Crown, with special mention of the newly-arrived French chef who "holds the world record for opening oyster and scallop shells";
- a report on recent and upcoming fundraising events for the local schools. I can imagine the uproar if our local US elementary school offered alcoholic refreshments at its annual carnival; and the consternation if the Middle School laid on a casino night. What a den of depravity Linton is!
- members of the WI ate a red, white and blue cake for the Diamond Jubilee; but Linton Garden Club's excellent annual show has ruled for ten years longer than the Queen - it celebrates its 70th anniversary this month;
- my favourite item - a quote from Tom Palmer, an author who participated in a recent special event in the village: "I think the [Linton Children's Book] Festival is one of the most innovative in the country." Yay!
We're still listening in Linton, though the pics in the pool are a bit much when we're up to our union jacks (jubilee cockney rhyming slang) in rain.
ReplyDeleteThought you'd be interested to hear about the local shed break-in by 3 men wearing 'baraclavas'. There's a joke in there somewhere...
Have you read the small ads, where there is a canoe for sale complete with pedal, suitable for 2 parsons.
ReplyDeleteAs livid says, we're still listening, and I've had lots of people ask if you're coming over this Summer...
Linton sounds lovely!
ReplyDelete- Anne
I liked/wrote the Tom Palmer piece for them. He really did say that though!
ReplyDeleteStill listening! x
Ha - my evil plan worked, I've flushed you out! Seriously though, I'm glad you are still there.
ReplyDeleteAnne, yes indeed Linton is a lovely place. Still my Shangri-la.
I'm sort of still here too! Just a little late
ReplyDelete