Saturday, July 28, 2012

What was all that about?

A few Americans we've spoken to today had things to say about last night's show.  Reactions were mainly positive, if a little baffled (but I didn't get the impression that anyone really minded being baffled).  They defined it all as "very British".  There have been mixed reviews from the US media.  Some loved it, some felt it was too self-indulgent (too many in-jokes).

I've a feeling Danny Boyle didn't much care what the rest of the world made of it - so yes, I suppose "self-indulgent" is fair comment.   I think he was just trying to tell his own country - in the loudest and most exuberant way imaginable - what he loves about it: the great, the good, the gritty and the frankly bonkers.  And as a Briton (an abroad one, to boot) I found that irresistibly appealing. 

Oh, but the Team GB uniform is awful though, isn't it?  Never mind.  On with the sport...

No comments:

Post a Comment