Friday, July 6, 2012

Not so swimmingly

Yet another blistering hot day here.  By late morning the kids were only too ready to swim, but when I rolled back the cover... Uh-oh - what was that at the bottom of the pool?

At first glance I thought it might be a kitten.  Yeek.  I shooed the children away.  But a more careful look revealed it to be a drowned opossum.  A young one, judging by the size.  Sometime in the night it must have wandered onto the solar cover (which is just glorified bubblewrap) and slipped under.

I did the necessary - scooped it out with the leaf net, disposed of it.  Vacuumed the pool.  Then threw in a boatload of chlorine and ran the filter for the rest of the day.  The pool is once again entirely fit for humans to swim in, but no-one can quite fancy it tonight.  Tomorrow, though, will be another day.

Meanwhile I shall probably have nightmares about small drowning animals.

1 comment:

  1. poor little possum-its mother should have taught it to swim

    ReplyDelete