I was barely aware of the existence of these falls, even though they are only fifteen minutes from downtown Albany and are of considerable scale: roughly 1000 feet long and 100 feet high. Since 1831 their power has been put to industrial use: first for cotton mills then for hydroelectricity, and their value as a scenic spectacle has been secondary.
Being the moving story of a family of four (chronologically a Man, a Woman, a Girl and a Boy) adapting from life in a small English village to the strange New World of upstate New York...
Saturday, March 27, 2010
Cohoes Falls
The Man writes...prompted by a recent visit by the Exile, I took myself off this morning to see the Cohoes Falls.

I was barely aware of the existence of these falls, even though they are only fifteen minutes from downtown Albany and are of considerable scale: roughly 1000 feet long and 100 feet high. Since 1831 their power has been put to industrial use: first for cotton mills then for hydroelectricity, and their value as a scenic spectacle has been secondary.
Approaching from Albany you see a small sign at the last minute, turn off and park in a residential street of Victorian houses, and then find yourself on your own looking at this natural wonder from some distance over barbed wire.
In 2008 a new park opened affording a closer look, but sadly it is closed until May 1st. With the Falls at their most impressive due to the Spring thaw and under brilliant blue skies, this was a pity. I certainly hope to return in the Summer.
I was barely aware of the existence of these falls, even though they are only fifteen minutes from downtown Albany and are of considerable scale: roughly 1000 feet long and 100 feet high. Since 1831 their power has been put to industrial use: first for cotton mills then for hydroelectricity, and their value as a scenic spectacle has been secondary.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
'Open to the public without discrimination.'? Is there a problem with racist beauty spots?
ReplyDeleteAlbaniana - have you listened to the Woman's Hour podcast on the quilt exhibition at the V&A?
Nice spot Ms Livid. I'm afraid I have no idea what it means.
ReplyDeleteBy the way, it's very rare these days to see Albaniana without a quilt across her knees and a needle between her aching fingers.
I haven't listened to the Woman's Hour podcast yet, but I've heard quite a lot about the V&A exhibition. It has even been covered on the World Service. My mum was involved with a side-event at the Museum, raising funds for Fine Cell Work, an excellent charity that teaches prison inmates to sew.
ReplyDelete