I started the day up at school, where Pi Day was being celebrated with a special whole school assembly. There were songs, fun facts and sketches with a mathematical flavour, performed with varying levels of skill but plenty of enthusiasm. Inevitably there were also lots of punning pie references - the Girl put in an appearance as a silent apple pie in one mystifying skit. I was pleased to notice that three middle schoolers who yesterday invited themselves to hang out in my sewing class (apparently sewing is the new cool) were all sporting hand-stitched felt pie badges.
This evening I've been out at another school, touting my fair trade message (and having my accent appreciated). I was there along with other local pillar-of-the-community types as a sort of side-event to a talent show going on in the main hall. I was asking kids to add comments to a poster which posed the question "How can we make a fairer world?" They managed to cover most of the big issues, being keen to stop poverty, hunger, pollution and cruelty to animals. One young teenager hovered for ages trying to remember what it was she wanted to put an end to: "Global....global...what's it called? Umm, oh yes! Global warming!"
No comments:
Post a Comment