I went a-roaming today. I was looking at a map of our area, and for the first time noticed
Schodack Island State Park which is not far away at all - a little bit south of Albany, on the east side of the Hudson. I decided to check it out.
Schodack Island isn't really an island, though I think it used to be. Now it's more of a peninsular jutting into the river. Going by all the warning notices at the head of the trail, it can be a hazardous place:



And as if ticks, terrorists and tidal waves weren't enough, a third of a mile down the trail I found this:

Undaunted, I continued along the path and met with nothing more disastrous than muddy feet.

It wasn't exactly a peaceful walk - sounds of traffic and industry were always audible (though come spring and summer a few leaves on the trees might help with that) - but it was pretty, and I was happy to be visiting somewhere new. On my way out I read another notice explaining that the park is a preservation area for several bird species - then I looked up and right on cue saw a bald eagle flying overhead.
Crumbs! Makes Wandlebury seem pretty tame. I'm glad you survived ...
ReplyDeleteThis is interesting, because I just stumbled on this place last week as well...and noticed the warnings. I had my kids with me and there was caution tape blocking up the entire playground as well as signs posting how dangerous the playground could be in the winter. There was not enough ice on the ground to make us nervous, but we did keep looking over our shoulders. Looks like a pretty place to return to though, in the nice weather.
ReplyDeleteYes, they do seem to be trying their best to scare visitors off, for whatever reason. Nevertheless I plan on going back there later in the year. With a bright orange jacket on, obviously - when is the hunting season, anyway?
ReplyDeleteFrom the parking area it's almost six miles down to the end of the peninsula. Makes for a VERY long walk. And they don't allow bikes except above the parking area.
ReplyDelete