Though I'll have a lesson tomorrow, today was my last chance to free-skate at the YMCA this season, so I took myself down there for a final session. As I arrived I was concerned to see numbers of people standing outside the building, in a manner that suggested a fire drill.
In fact there actually was a fire, or at least some exploding eggs. A teacher in the YMCA pre-school had started boiling eggs for the children, then forgotten about them - with disastrous consequences. As soon as the alarm went off someone whisked the pan off the stove and that was the end of that, except that of course by then everyone had evacuated the building and fire-fighters were on their way.
Very magnificent they looked, too, arriving in a shiny engine and striding into the building all geared up in their protective clothing to switch off the alarm. The pre-schoolers were delighted - obviously a close encounter with a fire-fighter trumps a boiled egg any day.
No comments:
Post a Comment