So the great day of the Five Rivers Fall Festival dawned. I was down there at 8:30am to set up. There was a chill in the air but (to everyone's relief) clear blue skies and sunshine too.
I love that feeling just before an event opens, the sense of anticipation. There had been some anxiety about turnout for this festival as we knew there were several similarly attractive events going on nearby today. We needn't have worried. Turnout was even bigger than last year - the highest ever.
I believe there were all sorts of exciting activities on offer at our festival (there generally are), but the only ones I got to see were in the craft area. We had a constant stream of small customers for the entire four hours, and only just managed not to run out of materials completely before we closed at four o'clock. We supervised the making of nearly 400 items: painted rocks, decorated birdfeeders (made from plastic milk containers), foil fish and bug costumes. I mainly helped people assemble the latter, and by the end of the day had sent a hundred child-sized bugs flittering merrily off around the festival grounds. I was very happy to overhear more than one parent planning to copy the design with a pre-school class or at a birthday party. You just can't go wrong with cost-nothing crafts made from cereal boxes and newspaper.
And that's that for another annual triumph. I'm ready for an early night.
No comments:
Post a Comment