Today was one of those rare days when I've felt homesick. Maybe it was brought on by all that English scenery and British accents during yesterday's Austen-fest. Anyway, I mouldered for a bit, then got outside and dug some weeds. Very therapeutic. Later I went out and bought a Bill Bryson book.
I visited the fancy foreign-food-importing deli in Albany in search of Marmite, but no, just like Price Chopper they only had Bovril. Is there some international shortage of yeast extract, could someone please tell me? But what they did have was Lyle's Golden Syrup in an old fashioned tin, so I came away very happy with that.
I taught my sewing group in the afternoon. Some of the girls were in a highly giddy mood. They kept sewing dandelion stalks instead of felt, and a couple of them tried to stitch their own fingers together - a whole new take on 'hand-sewing'. I dread to think what they'll do to themselves if I ever bring the sewing machine in.
I have been meaning to email you to say that I have just finished Bill Bryson's "The Thunderbolt Kid", and the style reminds me of your blog!
ReplyDeleteCheaper Tyre
I shall take it as a compliment, although there are those as think Bryson is a bit of show-off smartypants - I hope that doesn't include you!
ReplyDelete