I've been remembering a conversation I had with a friend before we moved to the States. We were talking about this bloke, Barack Obama, who reckoned he stood a chance of becoming US President. Well for a start, his name rhymed with Osama. And his middle name was Hussein. Not to mention he was black.
Dream on, we said.
And today I watched Barack Hussein Obama being inaugurated as the 44th President of the United States of America - the first African-American President in a country where segregation is still a living memory.
Dreams can be realised. God bless America.
I wasn't bowled over by the speech, but the man looks like he's going to take the job seriously - a contrast with the previous incumbent whose ambition, it seems, never reached beyond becoming President. (Mind-boggling statistic: the time spent by President George W Bush holidaying at Camp David or home on the Texas ranch adds up to three years out of his eight in office.)
For all our sakes, let's hope Obama lives up to his own ambition which is clearly to be among the great American Presidents.
can anyone remember George W's inauguration? Did 2 million turn out to wave him into office? Answers please.
ReplyDeleteOurs watched the inauguration with a friend, whilst eating tea in the living roo.... due to a hectic schedule, and me wanting to watch it LIVE. My parents who were staying had tears in their eyes (my Dad had been watching the the build up on telly all day). The significance was lost on the children though and I reckon they will remember the moment because they were allowed to eat tea in the living room (a rare treat).
ReplyDeleteI've heard 400,000 turned out for Bush's inauguration. Because some people liked him. And, not to put a damper on things, nearly half of the popular vote this time didn't go to Obama.
ReplyDelete