Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Pride and joy

A friend invited me along to a garden party this evening, in aid of the Pride Center of the Capital Region.  As well as being glad to support this good cause, I had a bit of a networking agenda. I'm trying to create an opportunity for Guatemalan fair trade weaving cooperative, Mayan Hands, making rainbow accessories to sell as Pride fundraisers - a similar scheme to the school bracelets project.  And I'd love to get another strong community group in our area, like this one, on board with the whole fair trade concept.

Though I arrived too late to speak to the director of the Pride Center, the idea should reach her. And I got to meet several other interesting people, including a local pastor interested in introducing fair trade refreshments at her church - so, some bonus networking success. 

The garden setting was lovely, and reminded me of the best English gardens - like the one belonging to our neighbours opposite in Linton.  It's unusual to come across really beautifully designed and tended private gardens over here, as the scale of suburban plots makes gardening too overwhelming for most.  It was a real treat to visit this one - sorry I didn't take pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment