This afternoon we visited Bethlehem Public Library to see an acquaintance of mine, storyteller Nancy Payne, give a presentation on the Underground Railroad. I know Nancy as an extraordinarily talented wildlife instructor at Five Rivers, and this was an interesting opportunity to see her in the different role of historical interpreter.
Through the true stories of escaped slaves and the concerned citizens who helped them on their journeys she brought to life a difficult chapter in this country's history. In recounting their tales, Nancy impressed us with the bravery of those individuals who chose the path of personal sacrifice and risk for the sake of freedom and human rights.
Someone else who has chosen such a path for herself is Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, released today from house arrest in Burma. What next for her, I wonder? I watch with a mixture of hope and trepidation.
Great news from Burma.Lets hope that democracy can be achieved at last,and that all political prisoners will be released very soon
ReplyDeleteIt would be wonderful if that happened. I'm not holding my breath though.
ReplyDelete