Saturday, November 27, 2010

You're faired!

Part two of the Fair Trade Market also went well.  Not quite the huge crowds of yesterday, but nonetheless many visitors happy to spend.  Over the next few days we'll be hearing exactly how well all the vendors did, and then I'll let you know the grand total - I suspect it will be big.  The majority of stallholders run their fair trade enterprises as not-for-profits, so their takings will be going directly back to, for example, a Kenyan slum community, women rescued from prostitution in China and Cambodia, Afghan widows and many many other deserving but disenfranchised groups of people. 

People helping people to help themselves - that's what fair trade is all about, and it's great.

When our organising committee first sat down and started planning this event (was it only two months ago?) we told ourselves, "Let's do something amazing."  I think we succeeded.  Yay!

Yesterday, as a contrast to the day's do-goodery, the Man and I sat and watched a desperate bunch of sharp-suited wannabes stabbing each other in the back.  Of course!  The latest episode of the UK Apprentice, courtesy of You Tube.  Now here's an idea for the next Comic Relief [biennial British comedy telethon] - challenge the Apprentice contestants to set up a fair trade business in which everyone treats each other with respect, a spirit of cooperation breaks out, and much common good is achieved.  Marvellous - but would it make such good telly?

No comments:

Post a Comment