The Man and I haven't done a Quiz Night in ages. Not since the last Linton Infants School Quiz 'n' Chips before we left the village. So when I heard that Java Jazz Cafe in Delmar was holding a "Trivia Nite" we leapt at the chance. Friends joined us in a team of four, and the Amnesiacs were born.The comperes were sisters, one a college student and the other still at High School. They were brilliant - not super-slick but just really charming and entertaining. There were numerous rounds. Pop culture was a bit beyond us, but we did fine on Fun with Physics (though we nearly blew it by failing to make a house of cards) and we were positively stellar on Multi-Cultural Manners (maximum score, doubled because we nominated it as our speciality round). History and Literature went well, but Music from the Movies was nearly our downfall...
Nearly...but not quite! For yes, the Amnesiacs scooped the prize!! Almost literally: the prize (which we'll have to collect another day) is a monstrous desert called the Java Zombie, featuring twelve scoops of ice-cream.
Ah, the sweet taste of victory...
Ok, full disclosure, there were only three teams competing. But, hey, a win's a win. It's not as if it's just the taking part that counts.
Tell us more about the 'fun with physics' round.
ReplyDeleteIn case anyone out doesn't appreciate Albaniana's alarming competitive streak, I should note that when we ran into a member of an opposing team at today's Farmer's Market, her opening remark was: "Hi. Still smarting from last night's defeat?"
ReplyDeleteNeedless to say, he quickly huffed off.
What I meant to say, what I really meant to say, was "How is your small child who was with you in the cafe last night and who fell over and bumped his nose?"
ReplyDeleteIt just came out wrong.
I'm sorry.
Was the small child on the opposing team and just HOW did they fall over eh?
ReplyDelete