Thursday, November 18, 2010

Volt face

More opportunities today to visit the Boy at school.  In the morning I joined him in his music class.  He always has good things to say about the music teacher, and I could see why - she's vivacious and fun and clearly loves her subject and her job.  She had us all (visiting parents included) dancing a courtly dance to the tune of Greensleeves.  Girls were paired with boys, which caused much dismay and groaning all round.  I was paired with my son but also had to dance with another eight year-old boy, who took my hand with great disdain - fear of cooties, probably.  I felt oddly pleased to have the chance to be a "yucky girl" again after all these years.

In the afternoon I was back in school again for a lesson on electricity.  Each kid in the class has their own box of batteries and wires, switches and bulbs, and they showed us how these odds and ends can be joined up to make working electrical circuits.  One excercise involved identifying hidden circuits made from strips of alumin(i)um foil.  I won't try to explain it in detail, but it involved quite a lot of concentration and the Boy took it seriously and managed admirably. 

However, when it came time to write up his observations, he suddenly had other things on his mind (and face).

1 comment: