Monday, September 20, 2010

Scootered

I didn't have the car today.  Because it was such beautiful weather I decided to walk to the library this afternoon - a little more than a mile.  It's just as well I didn't urgently want to borrow anything, as when I got there I found it was closed due to a power cut.  So I walked home again.

When the kids were back from school (here they are, on their way) the Girl had a call from her friend wanting to share some more finds - including a bone - from an archaeological dig they'd started on Saturday.  The friend lives within walking distance...on the same street as the library.  So I retraced my steps, only this time on a scooter so as to keep up with the Girl (I borrowed the Boy's and he stayed at home).

Blimey, have you ever tried riding a child's scooter?  Never again!  It's exhausting and, with no suspension under the riding leg, really uncomfortable  It's also slightly humiliating when you ride a small scooter home along a main road by yourself (what, was I supposed to carry it all the way?). 

Luckily the Girl got a lift home with her friend's dad and I didn't have to make the trip for a third time.  I'm having an early night tonight - I'm completely scootered.

3 comments:

  1. There you go April Fool - proof that other adults do use their kids scooters! And yes, how do kids make it look so relaxing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funnily enough, I did try it myself for the first time on Friday - and have to agree with Alb. The worst thing is if you give up and try to carry the thing, it has a nasty habit of clonking you painfully on the ankle, or tripping you up humiliatingly ... Think I'll stick to my mobility scooter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're telling me they can trip you up! I fell on my hands and knees in full view of all the rush-hour traffic. I nearly smashed a china dish in the process - but that's another story.

    ReplyDelete