The kids have successfully completed their first full week at their new school, and though is hasn't been all smooth sailing they've survived and seem to be doing ok. Both have made new friends, and the Boy even had a playdate with one this afternoon.
For the last couple of days they have been coming home by themselves under their own steam, being among the very few kids who can easily do so in our mostly sidewalk-free environment. But I like to walk with them in the mornings, and have had many enjoyable chats with the couple of neighbours who also walk their kids to school. In fact I believe I've spoken more to these neighbours this week than I have in all the previous three years we've lived here.
The new school and the kids' former, much smaller and less traditional one are different in many ways. One obvious difference the kids have noted this week is the regular recitation of the pledge of allegiance - not something they had really been exposed to before. But even at this school, our kids (being British) are not expected to pledge loyalty to the Stars and Stripes, they just have to stand up respectfully. They may be embarking on more of an all-American experience than they've had up to now, but in some ways they (in fact all of us) will always be "other" here.
No comments:
Post a Comment