Sunday, September 28, 2008

Umbrella Organisation

Much of the day was spent doing odd jobs around the house. Late in the afternoon I set off with the children to a friend's 'surprise' birthday party, organised by the friend's daughter who is in the Girl's class. At least, the daughter had come up with the concept of a party, but apart from issuing a few invitations she seemed to have delegated most of the business end of it, like the catering, to her Mom's partner. He came up with the goods, I must say, and provided excellent homemade pizzas and large quantities of spaghetti.

We got caught in torrential rain on arrival, and again as we departed. We borrowed umbrellas to get ourselves to the car as we left, promising that the kids would bring them into school tomorrow to return them. Only problem is, I remembered too late, the school bus driver won't allow kids to bring umbrellas on the bus because they might use them as 'weapons'. We'll just have to negotiate a solution with her in the morning, I guess.

2 comments:

  1. Hurrah, my computer is back from the menders! I have around 5 weeks of blog to look back on, but just want to say hello, and how blooming ridiculous is that umbrella rule? I can see them not wanting to allow KGB spies on with their umbrellas, but everyone knows a kid will make a weapon out of anything - their lunchbag, their water bottle, their sweatshirt scrunched up into a hard ball, or their fist - should they need to. You'll just have to disguise it as a truncheon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course the Second Amendment protects the right to "bear Arms", so if the umbrella was also some kind of gun...

    ReplyDelete