Sunday, September 7, 2008

Man at work

It was a community work day at school today, so we duly went along to do our bit. There was a good turnout. The Girl got stuck into window-cleaning with a couple of friends. The Boy and I helped weed and rake the sandbox. The Man busied himself up a ladder for a while, then moved outside to shift gravel in the midday sun.

Then with some others we descended on a diner franchise which exclusively serves large helpings of cholesterol. Three-egg omlettes, ice-cream served with extra cream, steak and cheese... you get the picture. Over 55s get their own 'Let us kill you for less!' reduced-rate menu.

When we got home we spent half an hour clearing fallen leaves out of the pool, and ten minutes swimming very briskly. I fear it may soon be time to close it up for the season.

By the way, I noticed 'Mums for Sale' signs up around school. An extreme fund-raising strategy? Or maybe something else - have you worked it out yet?

4 comments:

  1. They're usually called 'pot mums' in the trade here and sold in spring rather than autumn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got it now - knowing what interests jonm. But it took me a while..............

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the idea of 'Hardy Mums'. Out there in all kinds of weather, doing whatever it is that Mums do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And just in case anyone is still puzzled (surely not by now?) what we are really talking about chrysanthemums. Thank you all.

    ReplyDelete