A job I've been working on recently, which has somehow fallen my way, is to sort out a new range of T-shirts and sweatshirts to sell as a fundraiser for school (when they're done selling off all the mums). I've made it my mission to find an ethical supplier, so we can sell sweatshop-free clothing. Even with the aid of the internet it has been an almighty headache trying to check the credentials of various potential suppliers, and to some extent I still feel I'm acting on faith.
To add to the general Green-cred, I've tracked down a printer who is offering organic T-shirts (did you know conventional cotton is the second most sprayed crop? Coffee takes the top spot) printed with water-based (rather than toxic plastic) inks. So that's something.
Listen, I'm pretty sure I've as many bargain-priced earth-polluting, unethically manufactured clothes in my wardrobe as the next person. But through this school I've met many people who are trying to be mindful consumers, and their efforts prick my conscience. So the least I can do is try and help myself and the small community I find myself in to do the right thing, in this one tiny area if nothing else.
But will you stop drinking coffee, or have you found a green version? And can you wash these t-shirts with water-based paint designs - if not then they really are eco-friendly, think of the water we would save if we just wore dirty clothes...
ReplyDeleteOrganic coffee isn't sprayed, so that's what I try to buy (fair trade too, while I'm about it). Yes you can wash water-based ink-printed shirts - the designs won't last quite as long as with plastic ink, but hey, the faded look is cool. And we should all wash our clothes a little less often - saves water and electricity, and the clothes last longer too.
ReplyDeleteAny more you want to throw at me?
How about making some of your very own quilted patchwork trousers to sell? get them endorsed by Al Gore... et voila!
ReplyDeleteSorry Albaniana, wasn't meaning to throw things at you, just having a ranting kind of day...
ReplyDeleteBy the way, Dr Rockfish wishes to inform you he has very lovely memories of our holiday chez-vous, as do the rest of us.
Maths expert - ok, ok so I'm going all greener than thou. Next thing I'll be serving organic nettle soup and knitting my own yoghurt... See through me, it's easy - I'm just trying to feel a teeny bit less guilty about driving an SUV and having a swimming pool in my backyard.
ReplyDeleteNB I'm good at patchwork, rubbish at making clothes. Any trousers made by me would be pants, and not in the American sense.
RR: We have happy Rockfish-visit memories too - thank you!