Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Bus Drivergate

Well I don't know. 'Success' might not motivate you, but I thought cakes would. And not one of you in Britain has laid claim to 'drizzle cake', even after the summer I gather you've had.

We had a beautiful day here today, warm and sunny. I managed to finish painting a bathroom - not quite convinced I picked the right colour, but I'm not doing it again, that satin paint they recommend for bathrooms is horrible to use. I then took a walk up to the library and was back just in time to meet the kids off the bus.

Talking of which, the kids are struggling to reconcile themselves to their new driver, who is a much keener enforcer of good bus behaviour than the slightly whacky driver of last year. This comes as a bit of a shock to children who - get this - even get to call their teachers by first names or cheeky nicknames. A bit of strict discipline will do them no harm at all I reckon (adds the Man).

3 comments:

  1. OK, then, to make you happy ... you can have cakes! The nearest to where I spent my teenage years would be Kendal mint cake, not really a cake at all but rather a tooth-rotting sweet, good only for getting you up mountains. And from my student days there's stotty cake - again, a cake only in name, but really a type of bread. As for Linton, it would have to be something rather sweet, generally very palatable but with the odd gritty bit inside.

    Discipline is a hot topic amongst new parents at the Heights, too. There is much talk of the infamous '12.30 club', where children are allegedly sent if they queue up in the wrong place, put their homework on the wrong pile or have the temerity to speak to their class teacher. And those who go there suffer torture and torment unmentionable ... And as for the new head (or rather heads, as she apparently has two), she lurks behind trees in the school grounds, ready to pounce on younger siblings who transgress any of the myriad rules about what you're not allowed to do in the playground on pain of death. It's all very traumatic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eek, the Girl and Boy won't like that too much! Sounds like it could be a tricky transition for them back to UK schooling after a few carefree years at Anything Goes Academy...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been racking my brains to think of some great ingredients for 'credit crunch'

    ReplyDelete