At the supermarket pharmacy today I was trying to pick up a prescription for fluoride tablets for the kids (no fluoride in the water in these parts). A simple matter you'd have thought, but of course it turned out not to be and I had to wait forever while they untangled my health insurance details.
I believe Buddhism teaches that the cause of suffering is wrong expectation. Certainly my expectation of things going smoothly in this country causes me much frustration, an admittedly mild version of suffering, on an almost daily basis. So henceforth I am adjusting my expectations to a very low setting in order to avoid future disappointment.
In this spirit I am not going to be upset that we have recently diagnosed yet another water-related problem in our basement. If anyone is planning on sending me a birthday gift via Amazon, this would be very appropriate. Though naturally, in my new Zen-like state, I will try not to be too disappointed if I don't receive one.
No comments:
Post a Comment