Today saw me back at my second home in America – the dentist’s surgery. I was having a crown fitted, and another little filling done while I was about it, because why not? I also had the chance to report the excruciating toothache I’ve been suffering lately (it started coming on during our UK trip and has been getting progressively worse). I am now medicated up to the eyeballs, which dulls the pain of knowing I’ll be paying through the nose for root canal work very soon.
The dentist’s assistant today was a young woman from an agency. She’d been hired because the surgery is overwhelmed with patients this month. My dentist’s theory is that in the current economic climate people aren’t taking summer vacations. So they’re going to the dentist instead? How is that supposed to save them money?
Anyway, I was chatting to the assistant and asked why she’d decided on a career in dentistry. She was way too candid: ‘I always liked going to the dentist when I was a kid,’ she said (sorry, that’s just weird), ‘And also this friend of mine became a dental hygienist and he’s making stacks of money!’
Well that’s reassuring – it's nice to know my life savings are all going to a good cause.
What does the dentist of the year get? A little plaque
ReplyDeleteHo ho
ReplyDelete