Although it involved a painfully early start (we set the alarm for 4:30am to be absolutely sure of being on time), the first part of our journey home went smoothly enough. There was just one 'Come again?' moment when the gate announcer wished us all a safe flight to Newark ('Newark? But I thought we were going to JFK..?').
JFK is a messy, unfriendly airport. It took ages to arrange to get our main luggage onto the conveyor belt allegedly bound for our onward flight. But we got through to the departure lounge in plenty of time, only to find the Albany flight was delayed by an hour. Once finally aboard the plane we then sat on the runway for another hour before take-off - we could comfortably have driven home, and stopped for a pizza on the way, in the time we had waited. Ah well.
And then it was no surprise at all when our luggage failed to emerge on the carousel in Albany. It was just so inevitable that I could barely raise any interest, let alone disappointment. But the bags did at least catch up with us first thing this morning.
I'd been feeling no sense of anticipation about returning to Albany, yet as we banked over the city and surrounds during our descent I felt my spirits rise at the sight of all the now-familiar landmarks, the open spaces and the trees, the trees, the trees. It really is a lovely looking place this time of year.
No comments:
Post a Comment