Sunday, April 27, 2014

Hanging Rock


The Man writes...on the last day of my trip to the Triad area of North Carolina I was able to fit in a quick visit to Hanging Rock State Park.


The eponymous mountain is a precarious looking peak, 2160 feet above sea level, with panoramic views. It was a hot, sunny day, and getting to the top was no picnic.


Near the Visitor Center is Hanging Rock Lake. Both the lake and the beam are man-made, by the Civilian Conservation Corps, part of Franklin Roosevelt's New Deal relief program in the Great Depression.  They did a fine job and with temperatures in the 80sF it was tempting to cool off. But this being April no-one was allowed on the beach, never mind in the water.

5 comments:

  1. Certainly looks worth the effort

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks amazing - sorry you didn't have a picnic ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to hear from you, the_exile.

    I just noticed I typed "beam" in the text where I meant to type "beach". Not sure what this means...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry - that comment was by me, not by Albaniana

      Delete