I spent much of the day at a Fair Trade conference at Siena College, which as usual was interesting and encouraging. The first presentation was by four students who had recently visited FT projects in Guatemala, and they shared their enthusiasm and excitement about all they'd experienced. Then I attended a panel discussion on ethical food sourcing, and over lunch there was a speaker from a company that's trying to produce ethical and healthy cosmetics (in the USA, cosmetics are virtually unregulated. Whereas in Europe 1,300 substances are banned for health and environmental reasons, in the US all but 11 chemicals are permitted, and labelling rules are lax).
I came away with plenty to think about.
Meanwhile, the Girl and some of her friends spent a Day of Silence at school to draw attention to anti-LGBT bullying. I'm proud that she cares about this issue, enough to want to take a stand.
No comments:
Post a Comment