Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Slip not

As predicted, the temperature soared up to 93F over the course of the day, and the air was so thick with humidity you could cut it with a knife.  Ironic that this was the day I'd chosen to walk (slog) a mile and a half into town to meet a friend (I appreciated my iced coffee in an air-conditioned cafe, I can tell you).

In the afternoon I received an email from the (not air-conditioned) school to advise me that all after-school activities had been cancelled due to the heat index.  And the kids reported that they'd been warned to take care on the stairs which were "slippery because of the heat" - have you ever heard of such a phenomenon?  It's true, apparently - the Girl tells me she nearly slipped herself.

At least the heat prompted the Boy and one of his neighbourhood friends to make use of the pool, which is usually sadly neglected (because much too cold) by this time in September.

Fortunately this evening we've had a rainy storm pass through, and we're back to cool-and-comfortable again.

2 comments:

  1. Trop[cal rain forest?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apparently the slippy floors are due to the wax on the newly waxed floors melting. One school near us closed because of more than 20 falling incidents!

    ReplyDelete