Friday, April 6, 2012

Dress test

I have a very dear elderly friend (and namesake) in Linton - anyone from the village reading this will know who I'm talking about - whose regular response to requests from the Brownies is always "Sorry, I can't give you any jumble - I'm wearing it!"

Well, that tends to go for me, too.  I feel happiest wearing jeans and t-shirts, and will gladly wear the same ones for years until they fall apart.  This makes "dressing up" for formal occasions quite a challenge.  Tomorrow we'll be going to a wedding, so today I've been trying to shop for a dress.

I tried on all sorts (and several sizes - I still haven't quite got to grips with American sizing, which reckons I'm one size in trousers and another in tops, so where does that leave me when it comes to dresses?).  I did manage to pick out two that I thought were worth bringing home...but I've lost faith in them since.  So I've scrabbled about in my wardrobe and pulled together a jacket and pair of decent (i.e. not denim and no holes in the knees) trousers that will do fine.  After all, the main thing is to celebrate a marriage.  The bride will look beautiful and, so long as it's halfway respectable, what I wear is neither here nor there.

For future reference I've instructed the Girl to spare me any potential mother-of-the-bride costume agony by please getting married, if she does, somewhere like a goat farm. (Should be fairly economical too The Man adds).

No comments:

Post a Comment