At one of the Fair Trade conferences I've attended I sampled some chocolate products which I liked a lot, and the other week I contacted the company, Kopali Organics, requesting some samples to share at an upcoming Fair Trade Market [for local readers: it's on Saturday April 28, 11am-3pm at Delmar Methodist Church]. I also offered to take product samples to a couple of stores that I thought might be interested.
It felt a bit like setting off to do a selling challenge from The Apprentice, except that I wasn't accompanied by a bunch of muppets who think they are to sales what sharks and rottweilers are to...? I don't know, I don't really understand those animal metaphors. Why would I want to buy anything from a rottweiler? Anyway, it was just me and a box of yummy chocolate-covered banana-snacks.
First stop, Honest Weight Food Coop in Albany. I had all my spiel ready... Nah, I didn't, I'm no good at patter. I just thought I'd let the buyers try the products and see if they liked them or not. But to cut a long story short, it turns out they do carry some Kopali products already - the fact that I didn't know this should probably have embarrassed me, but actually it wasn't embarrassing at all. They are terribly nice at the coop, they really are.
As they are at Delmar Health Hut, which also stocks some of the products already - but has offered to give the chocolate-covered cocoa-nibs a go. So my sales efforts weren't a complete wash, though I don't suppose Lord Sugar/Mr Trump would have been very impressed with me. Hm, I can see the finger pointing at me...yep, I'm fired.
No comments:
Post a Comment