We've had very little precipitation of any kind - snow or rain - this year, so everywhere is dry. For the last couple of days our area has been under a red flag warning, which means there is a high risk of brush fires and such. Ponds and lakes are at low levels - which I noticed today on an outing around Five Rivers.
I was there for "Basic Training", an annual refresher course required of all volunteer instructors. I felt particularly in need of it, not having taught for quite a while. We spent most of the time outside being led on a plant walk - identifying different trees and shrubs and foliage and learning interesting ways to pass on information about them to students.
I'm happy to take a walk around Five Rivers in any circumstances, but the place really comes into its own when you're being led by a gifted instructor (as we were today) with a group of enthusiasts. Yesterday had been uncomfortably hot (over 90F), but today was just pleasant and sunny and generally perfect. I felt like I'd spent my morning well.
No comments:
Post a Comment