It was around 80F today, but even so the pool guy came to close up our pool for the winter. To be honest we haven't been in it since we got back here at the start of September - a few chilly nights soon made it too uninviting. And the leaves are falling now. It's time.
I was out on the front drive pulling weeds when the guy arrived. After he'd finished what he'd come to do he offered me some advice.
"What you wanna get is... Well, it's kind of a dude thing. There's this big torch you can get, for weeds..."
A moment passes before I realise he's not talking about what he would call a flashlight. Of course, he means a blowtorch.
"It's, like, this long flame-thrower and you point it at your weeds and vroof! Go to [such-and-such store] and when you find this just ridiculously dangerous looking thing - that's the one!"
"Thank you," I say, "I shall tell my dude."
Any other dudes out there reading this (I know there are a few of you who check in from time to time) - does the thought of a weed torch make your heart race?
I can speak on behalf of my father who, for many years and with a smile, has toasted the life out of all sorts of greenery. He has been known to overdo it and have to do a bit of fire-fighting....but dudes like that too so it is a win, win situation for him!
ReplyDelete"The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like .... victory"
ReplyDeleteIf by "making my heart race" you mean giving me visions of starting a wildfire and burning down my house and half the street as a result, then yes it does.
ReplyDeleteI'd be happy to come and try it out round your place though.
Thanks "dudes" for your Apocalyptic visions. Exile, all things considered I think I'll decline your kind offer. And thanks Avril for your insights as a dude's daughter.
ReplyDeleteWho's "anonymous" now?
ReplyDelete