Friday, April 29, 2011

Princesses and poetry

So, what did you all think of The Wedding then?

I wasn't even sure I was going to watch it, but since the Man and I woke up at 6am anyway we decided we would.  In fact, we'd first been woken up at 4am by the shouting of a roving  BBC World Service reporter, getting wildly over-excited interviewing not very interesting members of the crowd along the Mall - but we'd switched her off and managed to sleep for a couple more hours.

Well it was all very lovely, wasn't it?  Beautiful dress.  Good service.  Liked the indoor trees.  Nice to see the guest list included every British person known to Americans - the CNN live-cam lingered lovingly on Posh 'n' Becks and Sir Elton, and also Helen Mirren in that yellow top hat (what's that?  Not Helen Mirren?  Oh, that was the actual Queen...).  Presumably Ricky Gervais was also lurking around in the background somewhere. 

The Girl and Boy were up in time for the balcony scene, including the kiss(es) - yuk!  The Girl proudly sported a Union Jack on her T-shirt when she set off for school, but the Boy kept a lower profile.  I had genuinely expected that the other parents I usually see on the morning school walk would, I don't know, congratulate me or want to shake my hand or something - but no, despite the massive media build-up over here, no-one seemed the least bit interested.  I guess they don't want us back to reign over them again, after all.

We've noted that the happy couple have opted for the title Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, rather than Albany, which was the other hot favourite, and given that we have connections with both we wonder if we're meant to take that as a sign.

In other news, our own Princess had an achievement today, scooping 2nd prize in the local library's annual poetry contest.  Great work, Girl!

2 comments: