We woke up this morning to cold driving rain and a power cut. Marvellous - welcome back, ha ha. The rain continued all morning, but fortunately the power cut only lasted an hour or so.
In the afternoon we took the Girl down to Five Rivers, where an Earth Day event was in full swing. It was supposed to be happening outdoors, but the weather had forced everyone inside. Perhaps also on account of the weather there weren't huge numbers of visitors, so without any queueing at all the Girl got to meet reptiles, make paper in the shape of a fish and try out different tools replicating bird beaks.

Good old Smokey the Bear (symbol of the US Forest Service) was also there, reminding us that "Only YOU can prevent forest fires". Endless rain can't hurt either, I suppose.
The kids dispersed to friends' houses, and the Man and I headed to the DIY store for more supplies. An older guy and and a younger guy were working in the paint section. The older guy was singing along to the '50s rock 'n' roll background muzak ("Sorry, but it's the music I grew up with"), and got curious about what his younger colleague had grown up listening to. It turned out to be the Beastie Boys. I suddenly started wondering about the music of my generation. What will I be forced to sing along to one day when I'm in a nursing home? Wham!? Depeche Mode? Frankie Goes to Hollywood? It doesn't bear too much thinking about. Especially as I actually spent my adolescence listening to Henry Hall and Ambrose on a wind-up gramophone. Always the tearaway, me.
The local radio signs off every Sunday night to the sound of Henry Hall playing "Heres to the next time" with that wonderful xylophone solo, just as imgoing to sleep. Takes me back to my childhood!
ReplyDelete