Wearing two volunteering hats, as I do with my Fair Trade and Five Rivers work, can sometimes be quite complicated - especially when I try to wear both at the same time. Today I found myself at a local school's Earth Day celebration, a gathering of various Green-ish groups presenting displays and activities for kids on an environmental theme. For one reason or another I had ended up responsible for running both a FT and a 5R table.
Luckily I had other volunteers lined up to help me out...but when one left me in the lurch at the last second there was a frantic spell when I was leaping between tables, one moment explaining where chocolate comes from and why cocoa farmers deserve a better deal, the next demonstrating fly-eye lenses and encouraging kids to handle honeycomb and a real tarantula ("Is it dead?" "Well [with a bright smile], it's inside a paperweight - what do you think?").
Fortunately a friend showed up to run the FT table, guiding the kids as they designed their own chocolate wrappers, and another appeared on schedule to do the afternoon shift for 5R, so all was well, a good time had by all etc etc - but it was, all in all, quite a tiring day.
No comments:
Post a Comment