Thursday, April 14, 2011

I'm history!

As regular readers know, I'm very loyal to this blog and post something here almost daily (and I usually have a good excuse if I don't).  But I also occasionally blog elsewhere, on a forum for local readers.  It's on a much more ad hoc basis.  Anyone can contribute pretty much anything as long as it's vaguely local, but my pieces tend to be issues/events-oriented.  So my style there is less chatty and, between you and me, sometimes quite insufferably worthy and sanctimonious.

Anyway, tonight someone had organised a semi-formal gathering so that other bloggers on the same forum could get together and meet with each other and "our public".  So, along I go to the library to meet my blogland compatriots and find... that apart from the organiser and the blog moderator, er, I'm the only panelist.  Could it be that the other bloggers are all shrinking violets, too shy to come out from behind their screens?  Does the fact that I showed up at all mean I'm just a completely outrageous exhibitionist?

As it happened, the blog-reading public weren't there in their droves either - which was kind of a pity, as the blog-moderator had some interesting things to say.  One of which was that young people hardly blog at all (they're all too busy on Twitter) but that women between the ages of 35 and 54 blog like crazy.   And another thing we learnt is that no blog entry on this particular forum is ever removed once posted - it's there for posterity.  We bloggers, and the people who add comments on our postings, are writing the historical record of our era for future generations...

That is an awesome but also slightly appalling thought.  But not to worry - future generations won't be interested in reading anything longer than a tweet.

5 comments:

  1. So blogging goes the way of the John Bull printing set!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will have to turn it into a book and sell them for £15.95 a copy

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...and in twenty years our kids can take a load of their tweets and combine them into blog posts for us old-timers to appreciate!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm, and I wonder what the next big cyber thing will be...

    ReplyDelete
  5. BTW, going by those stats about women bloggers you can probably look forward to whole decade more wittering from me!

    ReplyDelete