Yesterday I had a haircut. I sat and stared at myself in a mirror, which is not something I often do. Even with my glasses off, I was aware (blurrily) of looking rather pale and wintery.
So on a whim I decided to book in for a make-up session. I don't normally wear make-up and have no idea how to apply it properly - it couldn't hurt to ask an expert. Also I'm being interviewed for TV next week and would prefer not to look completely pasty.
I felt apprehensive. Those make-up people in department stores, the ones in the clincal white uniforms, always wear so much make-up themselves you have no idea what they really look like, which I find a bit disturbing. But the young woman assigned to me at the salon today looked reassuringly natural. I asked her to please make me up to look as if I wasn't wearing any make-up.
It took her about half an hour, and involved a bewildering number of lotions and brushes and powders and what-not. I sat there mentally totting up the potential price list for all this kit, and felt quite alarmed. Anyway, the end result was....
...okaaaay. To me I looked like Coco-the-clown, with eyes like Cleopatra's. And yet when the kids, and then my husband, came home they didn't even notice anything different about me. (Until I took my glasses off, and then everyone agreed that the eyes were just a little scary.) I guess she had done a good job.
I'm not sure I'm going to add make-up to my daily routine, though I'm glad I now have some know-how. As I was finishing up at the salon I remarked to the woman how lovely and natural her make-up was, and asked her how she achieved that look. "Oh, I'm not wearing make-up today," she shrugged, "I didn't have time to put any on this morning."
I see. Just young and naturally beautiful, then.
Ah well.
Why no photo?
ReplyDeleteI didn't want to frighten any children who might be looking over your shoulder.
ReplyDelete