The Girl and her fellow 5th Graders put on a fine display of gymnastics - billed as "kidnastics" - today in the school gym. Though the execution was a smidgeon short of Olympic standard, the performers were clearly enjoying themselves as they balanced on beams, forward-rolled, cartwheeled and jumped over things.
The Girl herself looked very confident in a team with three of her friends. Though their routine didn't go entirely to plan - there were a couple of foot-meets-head near-misses - they carried on regardless and made it to their big finish. I felt proud of my daughter, and a little envious. When I was ten I was terribly shy, hated performing in public and would have been mortified if something had gone wrong. The Girl certainly isn't stage-struck, but she already seems to have a level of self-confidence I didn't even begin to muster until after I turned forty - and I still hate speaking in public. Lucky her to have a thirty-year headstart.
The local library is running a fun competition this month - Name that Literary Snowperson! You may want to click on the photo to enlarge it for a closer look. I haven't identified them all yet - but feel free to offer your suggestions. By the way, the fellow top left is looking at a picture of a melting snowman, if that helps.
Great little figures but being ignorant I can recognise only one(I think) JB Priestly?
ReplyDeleteWell done the Girl!!
In fact they are meant to be characters from literature, rather than authors. Anyone else for a try?
ReplyDeleteDorian Gray, Pippi Longstocking, The Cat in the Hat, ..., Sherlock Holmes, Frosty, Long John Silver, Frosty's suspicious friend, ..., Frosty's Dad, Bride of Frosty, Young Frosty.
ReplyDelete