Thursday, October 7, 2010

Top carrot?

A PTA sign-up form came home the other week offering me a double-sided closely-typed page of opportunities to volunteer my time.  One option was to join the school's Healthy Kids Committee, part of a districtwide effort to persuade children to eat vegetables.  A lost cause as far as my kids are concerned, but I can but dream, so I ticked the box.

The HKC has a big week coming up soon, with special events tied to local farms and the farmers' market, and a fresh produce collection for the "Squash Hunger" food drive.  Anyway, one thing the school team requires is a five foot carrot to chart the number of pounds of produce donated - a bit like those giant church-roof-fund thermometers you see around.  Guess who volunteered to make it?

But here's the thing.  Other people are vying for the job.  I know of at least two others with their eye on that carrot.  It makes me feel rather insecure about my carrot-making talents - what if my carrot is a bit weedy compared to what they could have produced, and they spend the rest of the year tutting and shaking their heads whenever I pass by?  Perhaps I should just relinquish the carrot right now...

Meanwhile, bizarrely, I've been receiving emails from the kids' former school requesting detailed instructions on how to run a tombola (and even one hopeful message begging me to come back and run it myself at an upcoming fair - Nooooooo! was my reply).  It seems I really did start a tradition there.  Would you credit it?

4 comments:

  1. I have no doubt that your carrot will be the best of the bunch.

    By the way, how do you make gold soup? Take 22 carrots...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you get that from a carrot joke website?

    ReplyDelete