Friday, October 1, 2010

Deluged

When I said it was pouring with rain yesterday I really didn't know what I was talking about.  Turns out  it was barely spitting compared to the torrents of water that fell overnight and first thing this morning.  It was as if all the rain we hadn't had over the summer had suddenly decided to fall in one go.  I believe in some parts of the country (North Carolina?) they've actually had the equivalent of their entire normal annual rainfall just in the last couple of days.  We put out the Boy's new rain gauge yesterday, but it was overflowing this morning.  The weather station at the local High School (where they probably look after their equipment more conscientiously) recorded 4.84 inches overnight - at a rate of up to 1 inch per hour.

I know I've already mentioned homework this week, but I have to say it's a real relief to get to Friday and not have to make anyone do any.  And a lot about this new school makes me suspect that its objectives are as much about training parents as children - there seem to be endless charts and notes I have to remember to initial, and don't get me started on all the fundraising catalogues and PTA sign-ups that come home or arrive in my email inbox and I'm supposed to do something with them.  It's exhausting just trying to keep track.

So, vive le weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment