Thursday, August 26, 2010

Despicable bee

Bees in the basement. Sounds like yet another volume of that tedious Animal Ark series which thankfully we don't have to read to the kids anymore. But bees in the basement are what we've got. I ask you - mice, chipmunks, moths, bees...it never ends.

Anyway, the Boy invited me to go downstairs and evict a bee. "Look!" he said, "If you switch the light on it'll come flying up - it's kind of like a pet." Pet be darned. I was just trying to get past it to open a window and let it out, and it stung me on the jaw! Twice! Then it flew into my shirt briefly and in doing a twisty dance to get rid of it I put my back out.

Hobbling around, I realised there were quite a few dead bees lying on the carpet, and another live one flying about. An inspection of the side of the house revealed bees flying merrily in and out of a gap in the siding. Clearly we had a problem.

I don't like to use insecticides, but in this case a death spray seemed like the best option. I'm hoping that's the end of the basement bee story.

Later today I took the Girl to one of the newer multiplexes to see Despicable Me. Maybe I was just feeling jaded because my bee-related injury meant that my back was hurting, but I was rather disappointed with the movie. Which was a shame because the buzz about it had been quite good.

No comments:

Post a Comment